The workshop will be conducted by Urban Sketchers Instructor – Ch’ng Kiah Kiean, from Penang, Malaysia. This is the first Urban Sketchers workshop held in China, supported by Urban Sketchers with limited scholarships.
At the same time, Urban Sketchers Beijing will provide a one-day tour with the most beautiful sketching destinations.
Sketchers from China and all over the world are welcome to visit Beijing and have a nice weekend sketching experience.
- One day workshop – Sketching with Dry Twig & Chinese Ink conducted by Ch’ng Kiah Kiean
- One day sketch walk in old town of Beijing
- Sketch & Drink with Urban Sketchers Beijing
- Beijing map of Top 10 drawing destinations
- Art gift from Winsor & Newton
In this workshop KK will teach the participants how to make own sketching tools from dry twigs and dish washing sponge. We will also explore the use of Chinese ink as the main medium and the traditional Chinese ink painting concept of leaving white space.
The workshop encourages the participants to handmade their own simple sketching tools with dry twigs collected from the surrounding. Explore the three basic elements: dots, lines and shades in sketching with the medium of Chinese ink.
The Line: Discovering how to use the twig and brushes as mark makers
The Environment: Seeing the architecture of the city with a different eyes
The Composition: Understanding the art of leaving negative space in your composition
The Technique: Strategies for applying limited color to your sketches
Date: Aug 30, 2019 (Fri)
Time: 05:00 pm – 10:00 pm
Venue: Shi Shahai (or Fangjia Hutong)
- Sharing by Ch’ng Kiah Kiean (My Hometown, Penang)
- Sketch & Drink with Beijing sketchers
Date: Aug 31, 2019 (Sat)
Time: 09:00 am – 05:30 pm
Venue: to be confirmed
- Sketching with Dry Twig & Chinese Ink one day Workshop
Date: Sep 1, 2019 (Sun)
Time: 10:00 am – 04:00 pm
- Morning: Sketchwalk at Bell and Drum Tower*
- Afternoon: Sketchwalk at Fayuan Temple*
- Evening: Beijing Roast Duck dinner*
* Dinner and temple entrance ticket fee are not included in the package
Fee & Registration:
Number of participants:
15 maximum (all levels are welcome)
USD 120 / person (payable through Paypal)
One day workshop fee
* You need to book your own accommodation, local food and travel
No refunds for cancellation after July 30, 2019
A list of suggested supplies for the workshop and other practical information will be send to the participants.
Flora Wang / Joyce Wang
Mobile: +86-139 1068 7335
Urban Sketchers / Urban Sketchers Beijing / Winsor & Newton China